It’s mid June. That means summer’s just days away. It also means it’s berry season! I enjoy growing strawberries out of a plastic container on the patio. I also love stopping by Spooner Berry Farms Berry stands. They have over a dozen locations throughout the South Sound including Tumwater, West Olympia and Lacey. There’s even a berry stand on the coast in Aberdeen! (Note: You should buy your berries early, as the berry stands are usually sold out by 3 p.m.) They also have U-pick berry fields that are open seasonally.
However you get your strawberries, there are thousands of recipes out there. One of my favorites is to chop them up and put them in a salad with feta cheese and a balsamic vinaigrette dressing. The combination of acidity from the balsamic vinegar, salty , creaminess of the blue cheese crumbles and tartness of the strawberries might sound strange. But don’t let that stop you from trying it! The secret ingredient that ties all the flavors together is honey. It tames the other bolder flavors, so none of them outshine each other.
Honey Balsamic Vinaigrette Dressing
- 2 TBS Balsamic Vinegar
- 1 TBS Honey
- 1/4 C Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Pinch of course salt and pepper
1. Prepare strawberries: Hull out the centers and cut into chunks
2. Wash and rinse salad greens. Any type of lettuce will do, OR use spinach.
3. Add strawberries to greens in bowl and sprinkle with desired amount of blue cheese crumbles.
4. Combine honey, oil, balsamic vinegar, salt, pepper and olive oil in a small bowl and whisk to emulsify. Alternatively, you can add all ingredients to a screw top jar and shake vigorously until combined.
5. Drizzle over salad greens and toss to combine.